Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm done....

So I don't know if anyone else ever feels this way... but after Christmas is over, I just sit there. Look at the wrapping paper spread all over the floor, the stockings jammed full of candy wrappers. The kids have all ready taken off to play with their new stuff - and a feeling comes over me, like a hot flash, or a fever. I think to myself "why in the hell?".
I understand the meaning of a Christmas spirit- giving to those in need and teaching our children how to be selfless and care about others. This is a given.
But the one question that I always ask each year- is why do I feel the need to pull out the boxes of Christmas decorations annually. I wrestle with lights. I spend at least 45 minutes every year trying to figure out why some strands won't work? I replace a few bulbs and if it still doesn't work, I throw the set away. I then get out the ladder so I can hang a few more decorations around the house in places I can't reach. I pull out the Christmas salt and pepper shakers just to use them for that month. I find my Santa clause dish cloths and table mats....I hang my Christmas plates up proudly- why? because they are cute.... because it's fun.... it's all fun and games until Christmas morning is over and then I look around the house and think to myself "why in the hell?".
The sick part about it- is that I know I will do it again next year, and the year after that. Just like I have done for the past ten years. Every year I question the use of my time and energy.... every year justifying my purchases for new strands of lights and the latest snowflakes to put in the yard.... every year updating my Christmas collection to extend the amount of time I spend hanging, stranding, taping and messing with the Christmas decor.... Whewhhh!!!

1 comments:

Lor! said...

Seriously I have been thinking about this all day!! Bustin my A packing up all this Christmas stuff (all by myself I might add!) Christmas is such a wonderful time of year, but its a LOT of work!! Decorating, wrapping, cooking for Christmas, cooking for New Years, cooking for bowl games, AAAAAHHH! I am so done. I guess my only hope is that somewhere along the way I have made it more enjoyable for someone else. Right now I'm wondering if ANY of this is even noticed?? Maybe I need a break! When are we goin out?? Call me!! Love ya babe!