I'm taking it all in!
What a fun experience this was... on the last trail we head up to meet my mother and her cousin to say good-by before they head home. As we come over our next hill I see my mother laying on the ground with a group on on-lookers trying to figure out what the problem is. I myself am wondering what the problem is, but I feel in my gut that it is no good! I can tell that my mom is in pain and the first thoughts that are going through my head is that she broke something. The emergency crew show up shortly afterward with a woman who is driving a snowmobile looking so serious about the situation she almost forgets the group of people are standing around and nearly runs right into a few people. I watch as a woman dashes out of the snowmobiles way and a few other from the crowd move on now that they see the professionals have arrived. I stay with my mom and try to keep her head warm, as the sun has started to hide behind the hills and she is laying on what was snow... now ice. I can tell that moving slightly causes pain to shoot up her back. She knows it's her hip, she tells everyone it's her hip- and they all crouch down around her to get her onto the gurney. One rescue crew bends over right in front of me and shows me her crack, it is all I can do to try to stay focused on my mom. I have to move to the side so I am no longer being mooned. It was a bit disturbing. They get her onto the snowmobile eventually and take her down the hill to the ambulance. I race after them because I have no clue where the nearest hospital is. Although it was my first time cross country skiing that moment I felt like I was a professional because I zoomed after them without thinking about when to move my legs and arms... I was hauling! Finally arrived at the hospital at 4:00pm. I stayed in the emergency room with her until they checked her out at 1:30a.m. the following morning. I was tired, she was tired, and she now was realizing she was going to be on bed rest for a long time. Four hair-lined fractures in her hip and nothing to wrap her up with. We were very careful getting her in the car. My husband waited for us at home so he could lift her up the stairs. Once she was in bed I felt better.... I was a little soar, a little tired and a lot hungry! My mom and I will always remember our first day of cross country skiing!

2 comments:
That looks soo fun, maybe one of these I will try it. Btw....love the pose, you look very HOT!!
what a pretty day for some skiing. To bad it ended with a broken hip and an a long night in the ER. Sorry I missed it.
Post a Comment